Thursday, April 23, 2015

Rockin' the House



Thursday night at our house is a different kind of night for us (Hobie and I).  On Thursdays my wife gets together with one of her sisters for a few hours, leaving the dog and I to our own devices. 

Tonight’s example, I’ve got coffee brewing in the Chemex and Elk Pot Roast going in the oven.  Now I’m not going to put on a fur suit and go running around the neighborhood with a spear or anything, but we’ve got a definite routine for these Thursday evenings.

Once dinner is done and the dishes are tossed out, it’s off to the living room for our special evening. The living room is carpeted, with a large soft couch and easy chair. It’s got the old popcorn ceiling, which is great for acoustics. It’s also home to …not a big screen TV, or any other visual device, but, the dreaded stereo.  I’ve been hearing “you gotta turn that damn thing down,” since I was 16.

Amp, receiver, CD Player (there is a turntable, however we’re not fully functional with vinyl yet, but one of these days), and a beautiful set of original, reconditioned, full size Advent speakers. 

Thursday nights Frank Zappa, Mountain, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Humble Pie, The Beatles, Chicago, Stephen Stills, The Allman Brothers, Neil Young, Jerry Jeff Walker, Waylon Jennings, The Grateful Dead, Thursday nights they take over the living room, they play loud and long and I sing along and play along with them. Hobie howls!

I kind of wish that when I was a kid, that my parents had gotten me guitar lessons instead of the accordion. I’m learning to play the guitar on my own these days,  but, I could have been light years ahead. There has never been too much of a demand for accordion players, Polka bands and so forth. Weird Al Yankovich was able to carve out a niche, but that’s about it. I think Lawrence Welk may have played the accordion as well.

In 5th grade I moved from accordion to trombone, I don’t know why. Maybe because the school band didn’t have a need for an accordion player, and the trumpet section was already full.  So, I invested 5 or 6 years into the trombone, again, maybe not the wisest choice. But, it was fun and I was a pretty mean trombone player, 1st Chair, Second Trombone to those of you in the know.

One of my brother-in-laws and I have been getting together and playing music the past few years, (guitar, not accordion or trombone), and it’s what it’s supposed to be, fun.

Still, once I crank up the old stereo and get going, there is always the thought....if it had only been the guitar….

Rock on everyone! Happy Thursday.

3 comments:

  1. Around the same time, my sister & I also had accordion lessons (for about a week before traded it in for violins... ). Those were traded in for clarinets when the violin teacher moved away. I picked up piano & guitar on my own in HS & had a scholarship for college with my clarinet. I still enjoy all types of music :-) I still have a lot of vinyl... BTW, my Dad also played a mean trombone :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around the same time, my sister & I also had accordion lessons (for about a week before traded it in for violins... ). Those were traded in for clarinets when the violin teacher moved away. I picked up piano & guitar on my own in HS & had a scholarship for college with my clarinet. I still enjoy all types of music :-) I still have a lot of vinyl... BTW, my Dad also played a mean trombone :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice Joplin, Jefferson Airplane with the beautiful Grace Slick, subsequently Jefferson Starship, what an amazing era for music. The music of the 60s and 70s only sounds good...LOUD!!! "Give me that Rock and Roll Music!"

    During that same era I dabbled with the cello, but my love was for the guitar! It was such a great energy release, that acoustic Gibson six string. I played Peter, Paul and Mary, and similar folk songs of the era. It was enough to get to hang out with the band kids, on the lawn at lunch time playing guitars...yeah, we were all kind of nerdy in a hippy, folk music kind of way. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Thanks for the memories!!!

    ReplyDelete